Thursday, March 17, 2011

I made something and remembered to take a picture. Amazing.


I used the tutorial from here:
http://mmmcrafts.blogspot.com/2009/06/basic-messenger-bag.html

....and combined it with the ruffle idea from here:
http://pm-betweenthelines.blogspot.com/2009/11/messenger-bag-tutorial.html

This is a bridal shower gift for my soon-to-be sister in law. I thought she could use it for a temple bag. I did make the bag wider than indicated in the pattern...but if I were to do it again (hello, I want a cute temple bag) I would make it even bigger. Like 22" wide and maybe 30" long (the pattern piece).

And check it out, I made a fabric flower! Never made one before (successfully). You guys need to show me for real how to make one...it took me forever. Do you stitch it together as you go or do it all at the end? And if you do it at the end, how do you keep the thing from exploding and falling apart? :)

Also, for the strap of this bag, I wanted it to feel strong and substantial. So I did the double-fold style (so there would be 4 layers of fabric) but then I also included a strip of polar fleece. So I folded the fabric around the fleece and stitched it all together. It made a nice stiff strap.

The fabric for this project is from Fabric.com (the outside...it's some kind of indoor/outdoor fabric) and the lining is from Hobby Lobby.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I didn't even know I wanted a cute temple bag until I saw this! SO cute!